Hi everyone!! Our home was a new build when we moved in, and most of the house was already finished when we were under contract, so we did not get to choose a lot of the specifics. However, our builder’s basic build still had a lot of stuff that I thought were upgrades, so overall I was super happy with everything. One of the things I absolutely do not like at all in our house is the basic wire shelving installed in all of the closets throughout the house. Our coat closet had one wire shelf in it. Talk about not functional and so much wasted space! It wasn’t long after we moved in that I began our coat closet redesign. I’ve always wanted a mud room, but there was no where to have one in this house, so I was determined to figure out a way to make this closet fit our needs better and work for us as a ‘mud closet’! Trying to make the most of what we have!
I wanted something with a top shelf, hooks for mine and my husband’s jackets, hooks that my kids could reach for their jackets, and room for all of our shoes that didn’t involve them being piled into a basket or thrown on top of each other on the floor. This was what I came up with…
As usual, I forgot to take a before picture, but this is another closet right across from this one that is pretty much identical 🙂 After I removed the wire shelving, which by the way was a pain in the butt, I painted the closet a bright turquoise (I may be obsessed with all things turquoise!) that we had leftover from another project. I figured since I spend lots of time putting things in and taking things out of this closet, I might as well make it pretty looking!
Materials used for coat closet redesign: (Amazon Affiliate links are provided in this post. I receive commission on the sale of the products, but this does not result in additional charges to you or cost you anything extra. For more information, see my full disclosure here.)
- White MDF board
- screws (I don’t remember what size I used- it was some we had leftover)
- 7 single hooks (Similar to these)
- 8 double hooks (Similar to these)
- stud finder (We like this one)
I drew out my plans and took measurements, then off to Lowe’s I went! I decided to use MDF (medium density fiberboard) because it has a smoother finish and I would not have to paint anything. My side tables in my guest bedroom were made from leftover MDF from this project. After I marked the studs using a stud finder, I installed MDF 1×4 boards centered at the top back (35 inches long) and top sides (20 inches long) using a level to make sure they weren’t crooked. This leaves a little space on either side of the MDF board. The only reason the space is there was because I only bought 1 piece of the 1×4 and wasn’t about to buy another for only 1 more foot needed i.e. I am cheap.
I attached the boards to the wall with screws using my drill and made sure to countersink them all. Getting the 39 inch by 16 inch board for the top shelf into the closet was a tight fit, so I ended up not nailing it down onto the 1x4s. It’s already in there good (like, I couldn’t get it out if I tried, good). We bought a large sheet of MDF for all 3 of the shelves- my hubby cut it down to the sizes we needed to fit the width and length of our closet.
For the bottom row of hooks, I installed a 1×4 MDF board that was 35 inches long across the back, centered at a height that I knew my kids could reach. I also installed a smaller 5 inch piece centered on the left side, slightly higher up. This side piece is where my oldest son’s backpack hangs.
For the shelves holding the shoes, I created ‘braces’ (just like the top shelf) with 1x2s to hold each shelf up. I attached these with screws and my drill(made sure to hit some studs). The top shelf is 16 in deep and the bottom is 12 inches. I like the bottom shelf being not as deep, because it makes it easy to scoot it back if we need to see something on the bottom better.
I did countersink all of the screws and filled the visible ones in with putty(I didn’t fill in any of the ones under the shelves since they would never be seen). After the putty dried, I sanded it lightly and painted a light coat of leftover white paint.
I added 8 double hooks- on the back wall, I added 4 to the top, and 4 to the bottom. On either side, I added 3 single hooks to the top 1×4 MDF board and 1 to the small piece on the right side of the closet. This adds up to 7 single hooks.
Here is the closet in use:
Once winter rolls around, it will be packed with our thick jackets, but for now the top hooks have my rain jacket, a hoodie, an umbrella, 2 hats and our dog leash hanging. My kids each have their rain jackets on the bottom set of hooks, where they can easily reach them. My oldest has his shoes on the bottom left in a shoe tray, and my youngest has his in the shoe tray on the bottom right. I bought these plastic trays from the Target dollar section years ago. My husband I keep our current most worn shoes on the middle shelf. The green and blue baskets are from The Dollar Tree and hold each kid’s hats or accessories for that particular season. (FYI: In a lot of my posts pertaining to kids’ stuff- you will see one item blue and one green. We just use this as a method of organizing each kid’s stuff. They each chose their favorite color and that is their assigned color. Sounds stupid, but it helps out in the fighting department quite a bit!) The very top shelf holds each boy’s lunch boxes as well as my yoga mat and any out of season accessories.
The closet has been so easy to keep straight, because the kids know where their belongings go and are usually good about putting their things away. They know it is their responsibility, although sometimes, it takes some reminding!