A while back, I ran across shutters at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, brand new in the box, similar to the ones shown below, for only $5! I was sold!!
And I turned it into this… (and I used the other half to make another picture display for my niece’s bedroom, except it is yellow)
I love displaying pictures of friends and family throughout my house, but having 2 little busy boys makes it hard to have picture frames sitting out like I used to pre-kids. Plus, I really like the idea of being able to quickly change our pictures any time.
To repurpose these shutters, I used: (Amazon Affiliate links are provided in this post. I receive commission on the sale of the products, but this does not result in additional charges to you or cost you anything extra. For more information, see my full disclosure here.)
- shutters (can be found at many thrift shops. My local Habitat ReStore and antique mall usually have some in various sizes)
- screwdriver and needle nose pliers
- mini clothespins (like these)
- Command Adhesive picture hanging strips (These are my favorite)
I removed all of the hinges on the far right and far left side on the pic above. I removed the hardware as well as the long, skinny piece of wood that opens and closes the shutters. I used the pliers to pull each individual staple out of every slate. Below I added text to better describe this since I don’t have before pictures of mine!
From this, you can further unscrew the hinges to make 4 separate pieces, but I choose to leave it at 2. Since mine were new in the box, I did not have to do any prep work before painting. I painted them with a Valspar sample in Homestead Resort Parlour Raspberry that I had already. Nothing decor-ish in our house is anywhere close to the color pink, NOTHING except 1 darn tervis tumbler, which isn’t even decor, so I figured why not give our kitchen a POP of color. My husband wasn’t a fan, at all. It stayed this color for about 4 or 5 months until I decided to change it to match our new color scheme. To change the color, all I did was spray the entire shutter with Rustoleum’s oil rubbed bronze then sprayed over it with Valspar’s La Fonda Mirage spray paint. Once dry, I lightly sanded the edges to distress it.
Two things to remember when painting the shutters:
- Make sure you know which end is the top of your shutter and the slates are all turned in the same direction as well as in the direction that the clothespins will be clipped.
- Make sure you use a screwdriver (or whatever) to separate each slate from each other so they don’t stick together once dry. If they do stick together, you can still pry them apart, it just takes a little elbow grease.
Once dry, I used Command adhesive picture hanging strips to hang the shutter and then attached my pictures with clothespins. I used 3 strips on each shutter, so 6 total. See below for placement.