Since moving into our new home, I have never been a huge fan of our builder grade light fixtures, because they make the smaller rooms seem so dark and blah. The glass shades just aren’t my style and naturally don’t allow much light out. I prefer the bright and airy look, so I have been dying to change these fixtures out (and in the rest of the house… slowly but surely. It’s a marathon not a race!)! Here is what our fixture looked like before (I had already removed the left one but forgot to take a true ‘before’ picture).
I have been wanting to do some sort of mason jar fixture for a while now (I hope to eventually make a chandelier for our dining room with mason jars), and I found this awesome tutorial via Bless’er House. Since this bathroom upgrade involved absolutely no electrical knowledge, I decided to give it a try. (You can even do this project if you want to update the entire fixture. For example, if your fixture was gold or silver you can easily change it to a bronzed metal or black using spray paint. This would require removing the entire fixture. Thankfully, I was happy with the bronzed metal color our fixture already was!)
Materials needed for Mason Jar Light Fixture:
- 2 mason jars (make sure the mouth is wide enough so that your light bulb can fit through)
- permanent marker
- nail & hammer
- spray paint to match your fixture (I used Rustoleum’s Oil Rubbed Bronze)
I began by unscrewing the light bulbs then unscrewing the phalanges and removing the beige fixture. I may have had to do some youtube-ing to figure out exactly how to do this and what the phalange was… haha! The phalange here is not the bones in your hands and feet… it looks like this:
Next, I took my jar and traced the inner part of the phalange onto the lid (I find it works easier if you leave the lid screwed onto the jar for this next part).
This is not the jar/lid I used, as the project was already done and I had people ask me questions about how I did it, so I ‘recreated’ it with a jar I had. I used a large nail and hammer to nail through the jar lid all along the circle. I did this along the entire circle, starting with a small space between each hole, then filling in the space with more nail holes.
After that if you give it a good push with your fingers or even a tap of the hammer, the inner circle will pop out. Be careful, it will have sharp edges!! After disposing of the cut-out hole, I spray painted the jar ring and top with Rust-Oleum’s Oil Rubbed Bronze(my go to spray paint!). This is the same technique I used to create our mason jar soap dispensers. It’s much easier to cut out the hole in the top than I expected it to be! No fancy tools needed makes it a plus in my book! Again, this picture was after I made the update, so some paint chipped off when I unscrewed it again from the fixture to take a picture.Once the spray paint was dry, I held the jar band up to the fixture, then placed the lid UPSIDE DOWN so you could see where I spray painted it, then screwed the phalange back in. Then, I screwed in my light bulb followed by the mason jar. Repeat for the other light and you are done! As you can see below, my jar lid wasn’t cut perfectly round- that is ok, because you won’t be able to tell once the jar is on.
In order to prevent heat buildup, there are a few things you can do. You can drill holes in the bottom of the jar for the heat to escape, cut off the entire bottom of the jar, or use a super low watt bulb. Since this is in our guest bathroom and the light is never on for extended periods of time, we opted on using a low watt bulb. We have not had any issues with the glass bursting or getting too hot since I first did this project 6 months ago. Occasionally I have gone in after it was on and touched the glass to see if it was hot, and it wasn’t. Anyways, my point being, use your own judgement. I’m sure there may be some other solutions as well, but the low watt bulb is what did the trick for us.
My picture taking skills stink, but the mason jars made a HUGE difference in how light the bathroom is.
Since the light fixture update, I painted my guest bathroom. Builder grade flat paint is NOT children friendly, especially in bathrooms where little boys have a hard time with aiming. Let’s just say I was having to scrub the walls daily, and the paint wasn’t exactly looking so hot. I decided to paint the walls using Sherwin Williams ‘Sea Salt’. When we first moved into this house a year and a half ago, I painted a wall in our living room this color, and it just wasn’t working out like I had hoped. While I still loved the color itself, I decided to give the leftover paint a try.
Well, y’all, I LOVE this color in the bathroom, and with the new fixture, it really makes the bathroom seem larger than it is. I will say, the new paint is holding up nicely to my boy’s bathroom antics, however, my youngest is newly potty trained, so I have a feeling I will be scrubbing walls again in the near future. No one ever said being a stay at home mom was glamorous! I am in the middle of painting our master bathroom this same color and the toilet room will have strips with sea salt(I will NEVER paint floor to ceiling stripes ever again… it’s been almost 4 months and so far 1 wall is done.. and it’s only the toilet room!!! Stay tuned for the finished product.. although it could be months!!).
Thanks for reading!!